Department 27 - Foods and Food Presentation
- Senior exhibitors must do 100% of the food preparation. Junior exhibitors may have help preparing exhibits, but must do at least 75% of the work. Under Age 9 exhibitors are not encouraged to enter FOODS because of kitchen safety considerations; however any Under Age 9 exhibits will be judged as Juniors.
- Half cakes and pies will be accepted.
- The Department Head reserves the right to dispose of any perishable item for food safety reasons, if deemed necessary.
- All FOODS exhibits must be presented on a STURDY 10” white PAPER PLATE and COVERED for safe handling. The plate may be inside a zip-loc bag, or covered with plastic wrap. Cakes may be presented on a cake plate with a clear cover.
- Exhibitor tags may be taped to or inserted inside the exhibit cover.
- Foods “FROM SCRATCH” must be accompanied by the RECIPE, including ingredients and specifics about how the item was prepared, handled, combined, mixed and baked. Recipes may be handwritten or computer generated on a 3 x 5 CARD or HALF SHEET of letter paper.
- “BAKED GOODS FROM A MIX” must be accompanied by the LABEL & INSTRUCTIONS cut from the mix package.
- Any food, undercooked, spoiled, or deemed unsafe for tasting will not be judged.
FOOD PRESENTATION GUIDELINES
- Decorated Cake: follow FOODS Guidelines above.
- Lunch Box:
- includes all age groups who must do 100% of the work.
- must include a complete MENU handwritten or computer generated on a 3 x 5 card or HALF SHEET of letter papermust
- include food, beverage, napkins and utensils
CAKES (WITHOUT FAT) FROM SCRATCH : cakes with little or no fat and leavened mostly by air.
Judging criteria: color, shape, density, flavor and texture
|27201||27301||Angel Food Cake (no icing)|
|27203||27303||Other Cake Without Fat unspecified|
CAKES (CONTAINING FAT) FROM SCRATCH: cakes with butter, oil, shortening, etc.
Judging criteria: color, shape, density, flavor, texture, icing & cupcake uniformity
|27205||27305||“Butter” Cake with any icing: white, yellow, marble, chocolate, spice, ginger, coconut, red velvet, lemon-flavored, upside-down, etc.|
|27206||27306||Coffee Cake (streusel topping)|
|27208||27308||Fruit or Vegetable Cake (just enough batter to bind - apple, carrot, fruitcake, banana, pumpkin, etc.)|
|27210||27310||Other Cake Containing Fat unspecified|
PIES - CRUST & FILLING FROM SCRATCH
Judging criteria: crust appearance, crust taste, filling appearance, filling taste & overall flavor.
|27212||27312||Cheesecake (included in “PIES” because: it is a filling in a crust, does not contain flour & does not rise like cake)|
|27216||27316||Other Pie unspecified|
QUICK BREADS FROM SCRATCH
Judging criteria: color, shape, uniformity, texture/ crumb, and flavor.
|27218||27318||Muffins (4) (plain, fruit, nut, chocolate, corn, etc.)|
|27219||27219||Fruit & Nut Bread (zucchini, raisin, banana, etc.)|
|27220||27320||Other Quick Bread unspecified|
YEAST BREADS FROM SCRATCH
Judging criteria: color, shape & uniformity, weight, texture, tenderness & flavor
|27221||27321||Loaf Bread: white, wheat, other|
|27222||27322||Dinner Rolls (4): white, wheat, other|
|27223||27323||Sweet Rolls or Buns (4)|
|27225||27325||Other Yeast Breads unspecified|
COOKIES AND CANDY FROM SCRATCH
Judging criteria: color, shape & uniformity, overall appearance, texture & flavor
|27226||27326||Cookies - Bar (6)|
|27227||27327||Cookies – Drop (6)|
|27228||27328||Cookies – Refrigerator: chilled & sliced (6)|
|27229||27329||Cookies – Pressed or Spritz (6)|
|27230||27330||Cookies - Rolled (6)|
|27231||27331||Cookies – Sandwich (6)|
|27232||27332||Brownies (6 pieces)|
|27233||27333||Fudge (6 pieces)|
|27234||27334||Other Candy not specified (6 pieces)|
BAKED GOODS FROM A MIX - Include label & instructions cut from the mix package
Judging criteria: shape, color, density, flavor, texture, uniformity and icing.
|27235||27335||Start with a Biscuit Mix (4)|
|27236||27336||Start with a Brownie Mix (6)|
|27237||27337||Start with a Cookie Mix (6)|
|27238||27338||Start with a Cake Mix|
|27239||27339||Start with a Hot Roll (4) or Bread Mix|
|27240||27340||Start with a Muffin Mix (4)|
|27241||27241||Start with a Pastry Mix|
LUNCH BOX CONTAINER (Food Presentation)
Judging criteria: menu planning, safe & creative packaging materials, food safety considerations, nutritional balance, overall appearance and appetite appeal.
|27150||27250||27350||Lunch Box or Container|
DECORATED CAKES (Food Presentation)
Judging criteria: complexity of design, color: selection, coordination and appeal, craftsmanship and overall appearance. Judges will consider “taste” of cake only in case of a tie based on appearance.